Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Shoes Won

Today I decided to stroll around The Magic Kingdom and then Epcot's Future World.  I decided to do this via the Disney World Half Marathon, certainly not the most relaxing way to do it.  Since the longest "training run" I've done lately was seven miles, there was a lot of doubt on my part whether I would finish the 13.1 miles.  My left wonky ankle (that I twisted and turned last fall) was giving me some problems which added to my consternation.  However, I knew that nothing ventured, nothing gained, so with a little help from Steve's super-meds, I got up this morning at 3:45 in order to get to the starting line at 5:00am for the 5:45ish start (they have a wave start which meant I actually wouldn't start until around 6:15).

Anyhow, since I didn't see any of you in the crowd, I decided to share my high and lows of my "race."

First the lows:
   1.  Getting up at 3:45am.  Actually Steve got up then, and I followed suit since the alternative was to sleep through the whole thing.  I am not a morning person, unless it is to get up for a bathroom break.  So getting up to do anything else is crappy.
   2. Every moment between 3:45am and the actual start of the race.  Why?  Because during that time I am usually trying to figure what is going to kill me - the heart attack from too much flab and too little training, the brain explosion from getting it up too early, or the crash and fall when my wonky ankle decided to twist and lands me splattered on the pavement.
   3.  Miles 10-12 which are the only "hills" of this course.   Not only do they come at the end of the course, but they are killers.  At least to the overweight, aged, and under-trained.
   4.  Waiting for the resort bus after the race.  In the sun.  Where I had to stand upright in line for like 92 hours.  While my feet were screaming how much they hated me.
 
Now for the highs:
   1.  Finishing!  Without dying or falling down (I won't mention the almost-fall on the lumpy bridge while leaving the MK).  Nothing better than finishing!
   2.  Running through the castle.  Duh!
   3.  The volunteers giving out water and cheering us on.
   4.  The band just outside the car entrance to the MK.
   5.   People I chatted with during the race (if you run really fast, you don't have time to chitter-chat.  Another reason I am content with the back of the pack woggers).
   6.   Molly getting my lunch post-race.  It was either that or I would have to eat the couch cushions that I face-planted on upon my return to our room.
   7.   Fireworks (this is Disney) that went off at the start, and then again for each wave start.

Anyhow, that's all I remember.  Maybe that's what they call "a runner's high!"

********************************************************************************
Today's blessings:  Sam taking us to the start in the car; all the race details above; blanket at the start of the race; Elaine coming by for a visit

1 comment:

Denise in PA said...

Thank you for the run-down - because even if I were in WDW (I wish!) I would NOT have been in the crowd at 5am - LOLOL! Although, running through the castle would almost make it worth it! Go Luanne (I think it is awesome that you do these races)!!