Tuesday, March 24, 2009

There's Usually A Reason

Today as I was going home, I was in traffic waiting to get in the left-turn lane. At this particular intersection, the straight lane proceeds before the left-turn signal is activated. Sometimes when I'm at an intersection that performs in this manner, I get frustrated, wondering why I have to wait for all the going-straight traffic to go before I get my turn. Today I understood why.

At this intersection, there was a long line of people going straight. I couldn't even get into the turn lane until the straight line thinned out. It dawned on me that had the left-turn people been permitted to go first, I would be out of luck and end up having to wait for the next signal. But by waiting for the straight people to go, I got the opportunity to get in the lane I needed, and then was able to make a left turn when the arrow lit up. I guess somebody smarter than me figured this out, obviously to my advantage.

So the next time I'm waiting and wondering "why," I hope I can remember the left-hand turn story. I hope I'll remember that there may be a reason for whatever it is that is irritating me, and it's not just to bug me. I hope I'll remember that there's a reason for almost everything, if I just have the patience to figure it out.

No comments: