Friday, August 7, 2009

Why Going The Extra Mile Matters

Yesterday I needed to make a veterinarian appointment. I called my usual vet, who couldn't fit me in until way later than I wanted. I decided to call a new clinic in town called Value Vet. When Molly's friend Scout first used them for her kitten, I wasn't too sold on it. I mean, with a name like "Value Vet," could the service really be reliable? Maribeth and Molly had also used them for their kittens in recent months, but still - did I really want to go to what sounded like the Kmart of veterinarians?

But yesterday I needed an immediate appointment. When I called Value Vet and explained my situation, they said to come in, because they understood the urgency of the need. I went in, and the staff were more than understanding. Their quiet voices and soothing words were comforting in a bittersweet circumstance. They did everything possible to make all who were involved as comfortable as could be, from emotional support to a box of Kleenex. When all was said and done, the veterinarian, a woman I had never met before that day, hugged me before I left. Everyone I came in contact with were understanding and supportive. I left, knowing I had found a new veterinarian.

Then, today in the mail, I opened up an envelope from Value Vet, thinking it must be a bill or a note of thanks for my patronage. Instead, there was a condolence note, signed by their office staff. Suddenly, Value Vet no longer seemed like just a bargain. Instead, I realized what true Value is.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Bereavement services from a vet- beautiful. Just read about Opie- what a loss of a good dog who has lived in a lot of places.