Saturday, February 16, 2013

And Then It Was Saturday ...

After yesterday's ridiculous food choices, I knew there would be consequences.  I was just hoping they wouldn't be too bad.  So, we got up and headed to downtown Jacksonville for the Family Fun 5K that's part of the 26.2 with Donna weekend.

The best part is Chick Fil A providing their chicken sandwiches before the race.  Since I hadn't had breakfast (as if I needed some), I took one and pretty much wolfed it down.  A little later, the race started.  We had probably gone maybe a half-mile when I became aware of the brick in my stomach.  We were headed up Mt. Everest (or so it seemed), so I stopped the jog and walked.  The brick seemed to settle a bit, and we eventually finished the race.

The next questionable choice was joining Steve for breakfast.  Not so much the joining part, but the decision to go ahead and eat breakfast.  Even though it was only some yogurt and granola, the brick was not happy about sharing space in my stomach.

Eventually we made it back to the hotel, where I took a hot shower (for about four hours, or so it seemed) in an attempt to get warm.  That didn't seem to work, so I got out and dressed and headed for the bed, only after cranking up the thermostat to rain-forest temperatures.  After downing a couple of Tylenol, the shivers/heat waves seemed to abate so I could focus on today's activity - sleeping through/watching the NCIS marathon.  At some point I recovered enough to sit up, hoping that I am on the road to recovery.

Anyhow, I've had pretzels and rice today, hoping it will fuel me for tomorrow's 13.1.  The good news?  The race pace you have to stick to is a 32 minute mile (a great thing about this half marathon is that they give you the entire marathon time to finish).  Here's hoping the brick is gone by the time we hit the beach!
*********************************************************************
The Good Stuff  from Today:  5K with Steve; Chick Fil A sandwiches and cows; breakfast place and toy store; spending the day in bed; housekeeping lady; response to my medal donation inquiry; Steve taking care of whatever I needed


No comments: