Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Joy From The Race Course

There are a lot of happy times during the race.  The first one comes when I finally hit Mile 1.  I know - Mile 1?  But as I spend that time getting to Mile 1, I'm always wondering if I'm going to get there, much less 12.1 more.  So when I finally reach that mile marker, I get a boost that says maybe, just maybe, I will actually finish the race.

There are many other happy times during a race.  Different mile markers give me encouragement, the spectators cheering the runners urging us on, Disney characters and/or regular people on the sidelines who are dressed in costumes for the event, and the runners themselves as they encourage each other (including me) to keep going.  There are the water stations and treat stations and Gu breaks for some extra energy.  And of course there is the ultimate happy time - seeing that finish line and actually making it across - upright and not in need of medical attention. But Sunday's race I had an extra-special, wonderful, unexpected joy.  And this is how it went ...

Marilyn, Karen, and I had started the race together.  Karen and I decided to jog a little, but during a bathroom break, Marilyn caught back up (the rest of our crew - Molly, Katie, and Kathy were long gone by this point).  We had wogged past the Disney racetrack, through the parking lot, and were headed toward the TTC of the Magic Kingdom.

I was on the right side of the crowd, as people my pace are supposed to do.  There were lots of spectators on both sides, yelling encouragement and waving signs for their people.  I happened to look off to the right and said a sign that had the name "Luanne" on it.  Being race-brained, I thought, "Oh, cool - there's somebody in the race with the name Luanne, spelled like mine!"  I looked a little closer at the person holding it, and it was my good friend Jeanne!!  I was thrilled and started squealing like Celie and Nettie in "The Color Purple."  (yeah, go ahead and watch it if you need a little heart-warmer today).  

Jeanne and her husband Ken, who live in Clearwater, Florida,  had gotten up at who-knows-what-time to come over to Disney in hopes of finding me in a crowd of 25000 runners (although hopefully they knew I would be nowhere close to the front runners).  Jeanne had made a sign (which I have no idea of what it said, nor did I, with my race-brain, get a photo of the sign, or me with the sign, or me with the sign and Jeanne).  It was an unbelievable act of friendship, an act which is normal for Jeanne, that has been a highlight of my race, my week, and my friendship with the very kind and thoughtful Jeanne.
The Awesome Jeanne and her sign!

Although I eventually finished upright and without need of medical attention and received my race medal, I know what was my true reward.  It was a simple sign on the side of the road - which was the true medal of something so precious and important - my sweet friend Jeanne!
****************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  dinner at Palo with Maribeth, Molly, Karen, and Marilyn; Everley and the nursery; booking Lindley's May potty-celebration cruise

No comments: