Saturday, February 14, 2009

17 Times 7000

Tomorrow I plan to wog 13.1 miles in The National Marathon To Fight Breast Cancer. I will do it wearing the names of seventeen people who have been diagnosed with this disease. Some are still living and fighting, and some have lost their battle. But tomorrow I will wog for them all.

I've thought about the other 6,999 people in this event. What if they are walking for seventeen people, too? That would mean we are representing 119,000 breast cancer warriors. But that's not even how many people were expected to get diagnosed in 2008. So I will keep wogging.

I will keep wogging because I want this disease to be cured. I will keep wogging because I want children to grow up with their mothers, their grandmothers, their aunts, their sisters, and their friends. I will keep wogging because I want breast cancer to become a thing of the past, a disease for which there is a cure, and a cause to be put to rest. I will keep wogging because I care, and I can.

I'll be wogging again in Komen for the Cure races and in the San Diego Breast Cancer 3-Day. In every race, I'll be wearing these names, and I'd love to have more. Send me the names of those you love who are affected by this disease, and I'll add them to my shirt. With each step, I'll be thinking about each person represented by those names. And with each step, I'll be thinking about the day when there will no longer be a need for any names to be worn.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Luanne, thanks so much for adding Lisa to your shirt. Her double mastectomy was on Friday. She was able to come home on Saturday night and though she's in a lot of pain, she is doing OK and happy to be home. They're waiting for the test results to confirm if it spread to the lymph nodes. That will determine any future treatments. She's only 35 years old.

You're supporting a great cause, Luanne, thanks for letting us be a part of it!