Monday, February 23, 2009

Why The Fifties Sometimes Suck

It's not what you may think. I don't mind the wrinklies, the saggies, and the droopies. Granted, they may not put me on Peoples 100 Sexiest Chicks Alive, but that's okay. What I don't like is the hard work that still exists at my age.

In particular, it's the notion of changing bad habits into good ones. My main one at the moment is weight loss. In my youth, it was easy - if I needed to lose a pound, all I had to do was think about it, and it was gone (of course, I didn't carry around that much poundage to be lost). But now, 30+ years later, it's a struggle.

I had success with Weight Watchers twice. But the third time did not prove to be the charm and didn't work. Currently I have all the tools I need - I am just realizing that it's not going to be easy. I have to retrain my mind. I have to admit that what I used to eat doesn't need to be eaten any more. I have to think about what I'm going to consume and really consider if it's the best thing.

I thought that at my age, I would be set. My life would have all the kinks worked out and I would just be set to lolly-gag around and enjoy. Maybe if I had done a few things differently, it would be - or maybe not. The fact is, I still have work to do.

But in the end, I'm glad there is work to do. I'm glad I'm still a work in progress. I know that if I can retrain my brain, the changes will be permanent. I know that I am in a place to make changes that are the best for me and will work. I just have to work, and work hard.

The benefits will be wonderful. I will have that lolly-gagging time. I will feel better and do things differently and be happy and proud.

It's just going to be a journey. But sometimes it's the journey that make the destination so sweet.

No comments: