Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Habits

I have some bad habits. Why is it that bad habits are so much easier to keep than good habits? I consider a bad habit something that does not benefit my physical, emotional, or mental well-being to the extent that it is worth spending my time on it.

For instance: I have started playing Free Cell on the computer. I started by playing it while waiting for the laptop to connect to the wireless connection. But lately I have been playing it just for the sake of playing it. I try to convince myself that it is honing my mental faculties, but it is not - it is just taking my time.

I read a snark blog based on "John and Kate Plus Eight." I started reading it because it was witty and echoed my sentiments about the show, but lately it's just been getting ugly. I don't read it because it makes me smarter - it just makes me feel icky.

I eat too much junky food. This would include everything from chocolate to cracker sandwiches to anything that has unhealthy crap in it. I tell myself that tomorrow I will do better, but lately that particular tomorrow has not arrived.

I continue to tell myself that I will get up and wog early in the mornings. But that early point in the mornings keeps getting later and later until dusk sets in and it's too dark to wog. I hate the treadmill, so I keep entering half-marathons not even half-trained.

So my bad habits seem to proliferate while my good ones have yet to surface. It's very frustrating, especially when I know that at one time, all these bad habits were kept in check by good habits. So what is one (and that would be me) to do?

I start over. I get some advice and try again. I hope for the best, try a little harder every day, practice and practice some more, and keep at it. But most of all, believe that I can do this.

I deleted the link to the snark blog and all those computer games. I guess that means I've started!

No comments: