Thursday, February 5, 2009

Emails and Such

Today I got a variety of emails from a variety of sources. All of them were upbeat and made me smile. A few were from friends I haven't been in touch with for awhile, and I was so pleased to hear from them. Others were updates or inquiries about common interests. Of course there was the usual spam, but sometimes even that might provoke a response.

Back in the Dark Ages, when I was young, my world was limited to my local friends. We might stay in touch by phone, but if someone moved, letters rarely went back and forth. We would lose touch and wonder how things were.

But now I have the chance to stay close with those who do live far away, and whom I might not actually see for years on end. I can keep tabs on local friends who work different hours, and whose busy lives don't always have time for a chatty phone call. I can ask questions at my leisure and get answers at someone else's leisure. And, I can bug my kids without seeing their eyes roll to the back of the heads.

Emails aren't a substitute for that personal visit or a handwritten note, but it's a great way to keep the bonds between people. Today it made my life a little happier - and I hope I did the same for someone else.

No comments: