Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Bling

Today I completed my February half-marathon, The National Marathon To Fight Breast Cancer. It was warm, but God sent us breezes to cool us off. I didn't shave off the two minutes I had hoped, but I am proud of my efforts. This was a great race - especially for an inauguaral race. There were over 7000 total participants in both the full and half marathons. Here are today's highlights:

I was able to meet and talk to many fellow runners. The atmosphere was almost like the 3-day. There were men participating, but many more women. We were all aware of the cause for which we were running, because 100% of the registration and funds raised went to breast cancer research at the Mayo Clinic. Like the 3-day, you couldn't help but hear the breast cancer stories, and notice the names on the back of shirts. From the bus rides to every mile of the 13.1, we encouraged each other to keep at it.

While I was waiting for the start, I noticed a woman ahead of me. She looked familiar, then I noticed she had on a Disney running shirt. I remembered - Steve and I had met her and her husband while waiting to run the Miami 5K. I said hello, and we had a fun conversation.

The race medal is awesome. When you hold it up to the light, the middle is like stained glass and the light comes through it. It's just another example of someone going the extra mile to make something great.

The support along the course was encouraging and fun, especially the water person who helped me up when I nearly fell flat at Mile 10 Water Stop. The run on the beach was a first - hot and no breeze, but interesting. It was great to see family cheering me on at Mile 4. GDizzle was there, and it was fun for me to see him experience something new.

Another first for today was the use of my new Ipod shuffle. I got it last week with the idea of using it during my training. I brought it on this trip, loaded it, and decided to use it on this race. What a great idea!! I cannot imagine doing another race without it. It kept my mind occupied during the stretches between miles, and Enya and Neil Diamond kept me paced during critical moments.

All in all, a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohooo! Way to go! Thanks, again, for supporting "my" cause! I have two heros--my nephew,Andrew, who is serving our country,in Iraq, and you. You, for helping fight the battle of breast cancer and just for being a really cool friend(you never cease to amaze me)!

Luanne said...

So ... does this mean you'll be joining me next year in Jacksonville? ;)