Sunday, February 10, 2008

Spongy

This is a picture of one of my best friends. To you, it may look like just a sponge. To me, it was a constant and loyal companion. Let me explain.

About a month ago I was wogging my way through the Disney marathon. The weather was warm and humid. I had dutifully taken water and Gatorade at each and every water stop and had voluntarily walked through every water hose that anyone was manning. At mile 612, saints were passing out wet sponges. There was no greater treasure than this small white rectangle. I squeezed every drop of liquid in it onto my head, thus assuring my body of a few more steps of forward motion.

After rendering it lifeless, I could have tossed the sponge onto the ground to join its compatriots. But I still had a few cells of sense left in my brain, so I decided to hang on to the sponge. Consequently, for the remaining 2359 miles and water stops, I was able to replenish the sponge and rehydrate my rapidly dehydrating skin. In between water stops, I would store Spongy in my sports bra - our relationship became intimate rather quickly.

What seemed like eons later, I finally completed the marathon, and Spongy was with me all the way. I crossed the finish line, had my chip cut off, received my medal, and hobbled to find my sister and the bus back to the resort. Certainly one would think I could discard this small piece of cellulose at this point - but I couldn't and wouldn't. This sponge had become part of the process, part of this marathon experience, and part of me.

Sometimes it’s just the little insignificant things that make the biggest difference. I don't know if I would have passed out without Spongy, but I know I didn't with him. He cooled my core body temperature and refreshed me enough to get to the next mile. With him literally next to my heart, I knew if I kept going, he would rejuvenate me again at the next stop. He became my coach, my training partner, and my first aid kit.

I’m going to keep Spongy in my office with the other things that mean so much to me. When someone else sees it, they will probably just see a sponge. I will see the thing that kept me going so I could complete a goal. It was just a little thing, but it made a big difference in my life on an important day, just like little things do.

No comments: