Monday, February 4, 2008

Today's Choice

Today was a day when I got a lot of stuff done but it just didn't seem like I got anything done. I ran numerous errands and checked things off a nonexistent list, but at the end of the day, I didn't feel like I had accomplished much.

On days like this, I could wallow in that feeling of dissatisfaction of a day not used efficiently. I could make lists of things that didn't get done for various reasons. I could imagine the consequences of my inaction. I could go eat chocolate and wait for tomorrow.

But instead, I will focus on the few things I did do, that just took long stretches of time. I will concentrate on the benefits resulting from those completed tasks. I will celebrate that which was done and let today receive the glory it deserves. I may still go eat chocolate, but it will be as a reward, not consolation.

At the end of the day, we all have a choice to make. We can celebrate the good we made of today or persecute the sloth we imagined today. It's almost a choice between reality and illusion - what we did versus that which we didn't. Today I will focus on what I know happened and not what I speculate could have been. I will celebrate the "dids" of today because those are the things that truly matter.

No comments: