Saturday, February 9, 2008

Heavenly Intervention

The other day when I was wogging, I was nearing the point on my route when I have to decide to either keep going for a total of three miles, or turn around and retrace my steps for a total of five miles. I was trying to decide which to do and asked God what He thought. About ten steps before the turn-around point, I began to feel drops of rain - decision made.

Today my plan was to go for ten miles. After five miles, I was ready to stop. But I decided to persevere, even though I knew I could call someone to come get me. A large part of completing a half or full marathon is mental - convincing myself that I can do it. So I decided the remaining miles would be my mental training. At Mile Six-and-a-half, Steve called to say he was leaving to go play golf. I decided I had done enough, and asked him to give me a lift home first. He said he was on his way, and I decided to jog to the seven-mile point. About ten steps later, I stepped on the curve of the sidewalk, twisted my ankle, and fell flat. I got up with no injuries except a sore ankle, and hobbled until Steve met me.

I might have fallen anyway, whether I had talked to Steve or not. But I choose to believe that God decided I had done enough for today, and wanted to make sure I knew it.

There are a great many times when God speaks to me. Sometimes I listen intently when it's a quiet small voice, and sometimes it takes a little more for me to get the message. It's a great blessing and comfort to know He is concerned about everything in my life, even down to how much I wog on any given day.

No comments: