Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Blessing of Resurrection

Today is Easter, the sole reason for my faith, because it is the day I celebrate my victory over death. Yes, it's my victory because Jesus Christ died and rose alive again, providing a way for me to live eternally. Every day I understand a little more what that means.

I once thought that eternal life began once I died on this earth. It wasn't until recently that I fully realized that because I have accepted God's eternal promise through Jesus Christ, eternal life begins now, this very moment. This moment just continues forever. Life isn't on hold until I draw my last breath - it has begun and will never end. It just changes attributes. Once upon a time, I was an infant; I've now grown to middle-age, and one day I will live happily ever after in Heaven.

Now that spring is officially here, I begin to look at the plants in my yard. Some survived the winter, some didn't, and some are in question. But that's another example of eternal life, because just as my plants are in all stages of life, so are we. What may look dead on the surface, may not be; and even if it is dead to us, it was once alive and will be again in another fashion.

My life has had a lot of twists and turns. There have been days of indescribable joy and days of inconsolable loss. But the gift of eternal life makes it all make sense. Any day is one of a countless number - which makes them all the more valuable because each day builds on the previous, whether it was a good day or not.

I guess what I'm trying to say it that at 50, some things are finally beginning to make sense (thanks to prayer, patience, and a good therapist). I know where I've been and I know what's ultimately ahead; the important thing is recognize each day that I have as the gift that it is.

That's the blessing of resurrection - knowing without a doubt that each day means life - eternally.

No comments: