Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Thank You For Your Opinion - Now Please Shut Up

Yesterday as I was starting to wog on the treadmill at the resort fitness center, the lady next to me started talking. I had already turned on my Ipod, but she started talking to me anyway. We exchanged pleasantries, and she proceeded to tell me in great detail about her recent vacations and about her family.

I happened to mention that Molly's major was political science and that she supports Barack Obama. Apparently that set off some nerve in this woman, because she then proceeded to tell me how I should tell Molly to research Mr. Obama because he is a liar, has been bought, and is being marketed.

She continued to discuss her political views on Mr. Obama even after I said, "Well, that's what's so great about America - we are free to vote for whomever we wish." Finally, during a 15-second quiet spell, I crammed my Ipod earplugs in my ears and she finally took the hint and stopped talking.

I respect this woman's right to her opinion. I respect her right to express her opinion. I respect her right to try to convince others of the correctness of her opinion. But I draw the line at her attempting to berate me because my daughter also has an opinion.

My real regret is that Molly wasn't there to go one-on-one with this woman. That would be one quick debate I would gladly sit through!

2 comments:

Sam Davidson said...

I would sell everything I own for a ticket to that debate. Put that on YouTube, instead of the regular debates.

Kat said...

Let Molly know that if she ever gets to have that debate, I'd love to be there, supporting Obama right along with her! And you're right, that's one of the many wonderful things about this country, we're free to support and vote for anyone we choose!