Sunday, February 27, 2011

Why My Time In Today's Half-Marathon Was So Slow


1. It was hot. And humid. And I don't like to move, period, in hot and humid.

2. I did a half-marathon two weeks ago, and my feet would only allow a "good" time on one of them. Of course, my term of "good" means the winner was at home napping when I finally finished. The nap taking place in another country.

3. When I asked the Fairy Godmother to pixie dust my feet, she thought I said Dixie Rust, and you know how slow southerners can be!

4. I asked for some Tinkerbell wings to fly like a fairy, but instead I got chicken wings which made me slow like a slug.

5. I stopped at every character along the course to get pictures and autographs. Wait, no I didn't.

6. I waited for the parks to open before I ran through them. Wait, no I didn't.

7. I thought the idea was to get as close as possible to the cut-off time. I didn't know you were supposed to try to get a fast time.

8. I thought we were supposed to stay in the order in which we started. I kept wondering why the people behind me wouldn't stay in their place in line.

9. I'm old. But apparently not old enough to know better.

10. I'm also hefty. Hefty is hard to tote around for 13.1 miles. But apparently I don't think I'm hefty enough to get un-hefty.

I hope these reasons clear up any doubts as to why I didn't set a PR today. If not, here's the main reason I was so slow - I just didn't run fast. Satisfied?
____________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: Finishing the Princess Half-Marathon and all the runners; not having to get on the gosh-awful early bus to get to the race; seatmate on the bus back to the resort; Yak and Yeti with Molly and Adam; W/Pucks dinner with the family; picking up Molly and Adam on the side of the street; Lindley laughing about box

No comments: