Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Crash Goes The iPhone!!

This morning I stopped by Everley's house to take her to school.  I got her and her bag and we headed for my car.  I put her bag in the front seat of the car so I wouldn't forget to take it into school.  I got Everley to climb into her seat and fasten her seatbelt (well, maybe the gummies bribe helped here).  I got in the driver's seat and off we went.

Apparently I had put my phone on top of the car.  How did I know this?  By the sound of it sliding off the top of my car as I turned onto a busy road.  Ever tried to explain to a two-year-old what you're doing when you're trying to see if that sound was indeed your phone and at the same time trying to decide a course of action to rescue said phone and simultaneously look inside the car for the possibly errant phone?  Not an easy task.

I turned into the first street, which was the street into a local high school.  Of course I had two cars behind me, which I had to wave past me while I tossed the stuff in the car to hopefully find my phone.  With no success there, I u-turned in the street to get back to the busy street.  Of course the light wouldn't change to red, since it was one of those lights that is triggered in some mysterious way which my little car would not trigger.  Eventually a car pulled in behind me and triggered the light and off I went to find my phone, two-year-old still in the back asking questions.

I pulled into the street where I had previously turned off into the busy street, did another u-turn, pulled back onto the busy street and there it was - my phone.  I stopped the car, put on the flashers, ran over to grab the phone, and got back into the car - all without getting hit.  However, my iphone was not so lucky. Apparently it came into contact with something bigger than itself.  This is what I ended up with:

Yes, it had an Otterbox on which probably kept it from being smashed flat and my only being able to find pieces.

Anyhow, I deposited Everley and went home to confer via computer with Molly as to what to do next. The phone would still beep when someone texted me, but there was no swipe action to be had.

We decided that I should go to the local ihospital (yes, they have those) for a consultation.  During the drive, I realized that I could use the bluetooth thingy and call on the phone in the car by asking the Siri lady in my car to phone Molly.  I had hope, but when I got to the ihospital, the itechdoctor said that the iphone was bent and he couldn't fix it and to go to the apple store. Which I did.  Bearded apple dude said itechdoctor was correct and I was going to have to get a new phone. For a price.  Which I paid because I have to have a phone.

By the way, the apple store is very interesting.  There were about ten apple workers standing around chatting with each other or their new customer best friends.  It appeared that there were only about five actual apple worker bees.  While I was waiting for bearded apple dude to update my phone and stuff, I listened to one apple dude chat with some lady about coloring her hair and stuff.

Anyhow, now I have a new iphone, new Otterbox, and hopefully a new appreciation for making sure my iphone is taken care of in a responsible manner.  Poor new iphone ...
*****************************************************************************
Today was as great day because:  taking Everley to school; cell phone drama; ihospital dude; Apple dude; new phone; airport pickup for Steve; chat with Pam about all things Princess

No comments: