Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Dusting Off The Library Card

Last week I decided to check two books out of the library.  In yet another attempt to set my life on the right course, I decided I needed to read more rather than surf the net and play solitaire on my phone.  I read one on the flight down to Orlando, and most of the second on the flight back.  Here are my sort-of reviews:

My Story, My Song by Lucimarian Roberts (Robin Roberts' mother).  This is an excellent and inspiring read. I enjoyed reading about Lucimarian's life, as well as the quotes, tips, and songs she included in the book.  It's been awhile since I've sung many of the hymns to which she refers and references, but as soon as I read the words on the page, they immediately came back to me and I felt renewed.  The book is a quick read, but for me who enjoys biographies and non-fiction, it was an enjoyable read.

Everybody's Got Something by Robin Roberts (hmmm - see a pattern here?).  While I'm not quite finished with this book, I am finding it also excellent and inspiring.  It's about Robin's journey through the rare blood disorder she had after undergoing chemotherapy from breast cancer.  I especially am reminded to think about things in my life differently as Robin continues to reiterate that "everybody's got something" and so maybe your stuff isn't the stuff that's going to stop the world from spinning and maybe it's time to look to help other people with their stuff.

Anyhow, I decided to blog about reading books because I'm happy to return to a habit that I enjoy.  Sure, it's easy to pick up a book (and I prefer the feeling of a real book not a digital book reading thingy) and read, unless you waste time doing something unproductive, like play solitaire (or Candy Crush) on your phone.  In a year that I'm trying to make some positive changes (and am really slow about getting them accomplished), it's a good feeling to know that maybe I'm heading in a right direction.

As soon as I finished the last book, I'm off to the library for more books.  Maybe they'll even let me in the summer reading program.  What?  It's for kids?  Oh well ...
***************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  lunch with MB at JAlex; taking Everley to school; Lindley and Everley time; chicken sapa at the Doik with Lynnette, Mathieu, Maribeth, and Steve; two slow miles in the 'hood

4 comments:

Denise in PA said...

Please continue to blog about the books you read! I'm always on the lookout for a great book. I rediscovered our library a couple of years ago and am loving it. I was in danger of being pushed out of my house because of all of the books that have stacked up over the years (we're voracious readers), so I'm glad to be able to give them back!

Marilyn said...

At our library here you can order them online and they send you an email when they come in ( helpful for new, best seller type books).

Denise in PA said...

We can do that here too, Marilyn. It's great! I'm finding I can get about 95% of the books I want to read at the library - if I can just be patient sometimes.

Luanne said...

By jingy, we can do that at our library too! One that I've got on hold is "The Meryl Streep Movie Club" - couldn't pass it up!!