Sunday, April 27, 2008

Country Music Marathon - The Aftermath

Memories from the weekend:

*The final two walkers as I was wogging back up Belmont Boulevard. They were being tailed by a police car and clean-up crew. It did not deter them from the route nor make them feel rushed,and they continued at their own pace. I don't know if they finished or not, but I admire their tenacity and ability not to be pressured by outside forces.

*The family who was so happy when I gave them their sister's registration (illegally). What was better - making their day or following the registration rules? I'll choose people any day.

*All the runners/walkers with whom I talked to along the way. Some encouraged me, some asked me how I was doing, and some just chatted, but it's a blessing to be considered one of their peers. My homies at my end of a race are the best!

*The porta-potty that was there when I needed it. After several races and two 3-day walks, I have learned to embrace the invention that is known as the porta-potty. Now if I could cure myself of that compulsion I have to look in the business end of the facility! (I know, TMI!)

*Every smiling volunteer along the way. If you have never volunteered for a race, do it. Even if you're a fancy-schmancy fast runner, you should volunteer in some capacity. You will never view a race in the same way.

*The drive to finish. Thank you, mind and body. As much as I considered quitting, you kept me going to the end. I will try to do better by you next time (in Cleveland in a few weeks).

*The first-timers who were so excited and terrified when they received their race numbers at registration. I hope they finished, but they are all athletes in my book because they dared to believe they could do it.

Everyone chooses to do these races for their own reasons. Some because they want to win, either the whole thing or just in a particular category. Some do them because they are raising money for a cause. Some do them because a friend or family is doing it with them. Some do it because it seemed like a good idea once upon a time.

I do it because of all that I get from the entire experience. I get to see people from all walks of life, at all ages and stages of life, and in all shapes and sizes of life. But in the end, we're all going for the same goal - that finish line and the medal that says we did it. We all help each other along the way and we're family. For those few hours, it's a great world in which to live.

1 comment:

Sam Davidson said...

Good for you for breaking the rules! We need more folks like you working the booths!