Saturday, April 26, 2008

Country Music Marathon Weekend - Day 3

Well, I did it. It was not pretty nor fast, but it got done. I completed the Country Music Half Marathon. Having not done this particular half in four years, I had forgotten all the "rolling hills" that were in Nashville. Around Mile 4, my thighs turned to jelly. Around Mile 9, my GI system decided to revolt. By Mile 11, my feet were screaming in pain, and every time I decided to jog a bit, my stomach reminded me that all was not well. But I persevered, and finished the 13.1.

The day started with rain, but stopped just before I crossed the start line (49 minutes after the first runners, thanks to the wave start). While waiting for our turn, I got to talk with Bonnie, a Nashvillian running her first half. Along the way, I saw a few people I knew, and got to see many people stories. The last half-mile I trudged with Bike Lady (named because she said she would stick to biking after this), who was in a lot of pain, but finished strong.

It was a good day, and reinforced my reasons for continuing to do half-marathons. I enjoy the bling, I keep hoping for better race times, but most of all, because I get to experience the lives of people that I would otherwise never encounter. For every ache and pain I have, there are countless human stories that I saw today. The physical discomforts will fade, but the memories I made today will be with me forever.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Congratulations, Luanne! I struggle to walk the dog around the block, and here you are with another half under your belt. you go, girl!