Sunday, July 6, 2008

Books (And Life) In Review

Today I decided to revisit some of my favorite books that have special meaning in my life. They are part of my personal library, and always will be. The books I'm talking about are:


I love these books because they are fun to read. Re-reading them reminds me of all the times I read them to my children, and they began to read them back. I love the fanciful illustrations and their details and colors. I love the simplicity of the language and story. I love these books because of the personal joy and memories they represent. But I love them most because they are the same books I read when I was a little girl.

My family lived on a farm out in the country. My grandmother lived in the house next door and would take me a mile down the road to the Cross's house. This family had all the Dr. Seuss beginner books and would let me borrow them. These books opened a world full of imagination and words, which has always been at the core of my being. The memory of going to this house and picking out the books has special meaning because of my delight in reading and the time spent with my Nannie. But most of all, it was a time that an adult showed me she loved me by enabling me to do something I loved.

The best things in life are those things that remind us we are loved. For me, it's four books that helped me and my children learn to read. Four little books and whole lot of love and memories. Or as Dr. Seuss said,

"Today is gone. Today was fun.
Tomorrow is another one.
Every day, from here to there,
funny things are everywhere."

2 comments:

Steve said...

Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.

Good post

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about writing a children's book? I think you should!