Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Maribeth Marsh Davidson

Many years ago when my mother was not exactly happy with me, she turned to me and said, "I hope you have a child just like you." By the grace of God, I did. God gave me a daughter who has parts of me but is also infused with exciting new parts of her own that I could only hope to be and remarkable other parts that I could never imagine to be. I call this gift Maribeth, and today is her birthday.

Maribeth was born full of determination, talent, laughter, and love. No tree or rooftop was high enough not to climb - she would just find a ladder. No bicycle was too difficult to ride - she would just keep trying until she mastered it. Nothing was insurmountable if Maribeth wanted to do it. She taught herself to play the piano, to read, and to play soccer as the only girl on her team. She has taken flying lessons and hiked part of the Appalachian Trail. She can draw and she can write. Her room was once filled with a KNex ferris wheel and roller coaster. She has completed a half marathon and other races from 5ks to 15ks. Maribeth can do anything she wants to and has the fearless determination to accomplish it all.

She is great fun to be with, and definitely has that Disney gene. She has the ability to make us laugh and embark on new adventures. Maribeth has a tremendous heart and a great capacity to love and help those around her. She lived next to and helped out her grandfather who became seriously ill very quickly. Her other grandfather looks forward to the travels she takes him. She has suffered through broken hearts and disappointments, but still keeps her heart open to share with those who might need it.

Twenty-four years ago, my daughter was born and my life was forever changed. I realized how much good I had in me, because I could see it reflected in my daughter. I can only hope that one day she has a daughter just like her - what a great gift that would be!

Happy Birthday Maribeth - thanks for being you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Maribeth! The first time I met you, you were "great with child". As our friendship grew, so did my excitement about her birth. I remember she was comforted by being pounded (patting wasn't enough)on her backside. She was a beautiful baby and from the photos I see, she is a beautiful young lady. Have a great celebration!