Monday, April 6, 2009

Cleaners, Compliments, and Shirley

Shirley works at the cleaners we use. She's always cheerful and friendly, no matter the weather. She also makes a fabulous homemade caramel cake, if you can catch her when she's got time to make you one. It's a pleasure to drop off and pick up the dry cleaning, because you might get a dose of Shirley when you go.

Awhile ago, I gave her a copy of my book. Although I had been back since then, she hadn't said anything about it. Today I dropped some clothes off, but she wasn't there, so I was totally surprised to hear from her later this afternoon.

She called to say that she had started reading my book this morning. She went on to talk about certain stories she enjoyed. She had started reading the one entitled "Shirley" which is about my mother-in-law. The story describes how one person can affect other people, and Shirley said she felt like she was probably like that, because you just never know whose life you may touch. I agreed with her and told her how much she affects mine.

It's easy to compliment someone that we know when we are in a situation that warrants it. But it means so much more when someone takes the time and goes out of her way in an unexpected situation. Shirley had to find my phone number and take the time to call me up. She thought of specific things to say and complimented me in a way that I could be a part of it. And as nice as her compliments were, the best part was just the experience. It became a true connection between two people.

Today Shirley reached out and touched a life, one that she sees randomly and infrequently. She made a huge impact that made my day. I hope I can do the same for another life and send Shirley's impact even further. What a great way to say, "Thank you, Shirley!"

No comments: