Monday, April 27, 2009

Sometimes All A Girl Needs Is A New Dress

This is a doll I've had since I was a little girl. Ever since I created my office upstairs, she's sat and watched me as I work. She always wore a sad little old doll dress, much too short, that showed her bare bottom. But she didn't complain, just waited for something better.

Today I spent most of the day pricing items for our upcoming Yard Sale for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. Some of the items were baby clothes from 25 years ago. In my mind, I thought if there were something small enough, Baby would get a new dress (if she ever had a name, I don't remember it). Sure enough, this little Polly Flinders number seemed to fit the bill, and I dressed my little doll in her new outfit.

Even though it was a tiny bit too big, Baby seemed to blossom in her new togs. And even though it seems impossible, I think her smile became bigger and she looked even prettier than before.

So I guess there's still hope for all of us who are over fifty. All we need is the possibility of something new, the attention of someone who still cares about us even though we're old, and the self-assurance that we are beautiful just because we're us.

No comments: