Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Picking and Choosing

Sometimes I think I have to save the world. Not only do I need to achieve world peace, I also need to end world hunger, find a cure for cancer and every other life-altering disease, and handle every problem that anyone could ever have. Surprisingly, I am finding that I cannot do all this and keep my house from being condemned by the Board of Health.

So I have to decide which causes to champion. I have to decide where to donate my money and my time. I have to pick the things that matter to me, and let the rest be handled by others. I have to let go and choose my battles, my causes, and my moments.

It's not easy, because I want a world where everything is goodness and light. But from what I believe, this world is not that world - that world is one yet to come.

So I'll do my best with a few chosen issues, rather than my least with many. I'll live with the hope that as I am choosing my crusades, others will be choosing theirs, and together we will tackle the myriad of issues that our world faces every day.

It is a small world after all, and we're all in this together. And if everyone would choose just a few ways to make this world better, I think together we can do it all.

No comments: