Monday, April 13, 2009

Just a Touch of Blue

I procrastinated and put off walking today, especially since it began to rain around noon. But later in the afternoon, everything cleared off and the weather was lovely, so I decided to go ahead. When I reached the half-way point and turned around to go back home, the sky began to get cloudy. There were white clouds and dusky clouds and soon some dark clouds joined the mix. I eyed the sky and wondered along with the guy who jogged past me asking, "Are we going to get rained on?"

The darker clouds began to take over the sky, indicating that rain could possibly be in my future. Suddenly, this walk didn't seem like such a great idea. But as I turned onto the next road, I saw it. A smidgen of that beautiful blue sky that only spring brings. As the clouds moved, a new patch of blue would open up here and there. And while the dark clouds claimed the majority of the sky, just a hint of that blue popping out in random places assured me that better weather was out there - I just had to wait until the rain clouds passed on.

Life's a lot like today's sky. Sometimes the darkness and gloom are all we can see. It overtakes our lives and makes us question our efforts, our purpose, and even our very existence. But if we can just find that little piece of blue that lets us know there's a better spot out there, maybe we can hold on. Even though the storms can dampen or ruin or even destroy the parts of our lives that are important, maybe just remembering there's still something good out there can keep us going through that dark time.

The blue is out there - sometimes hidden, but out there. We just have to keep looking for it.

No comments: