Saturday, April 4, 2009

Just Find A Reason

After walking five miles on Thursday and eleven on Friday, I wasn't too excited about today's race. I had checked last year's results, and figured I'd be at the tail end of the race. I began to consider just skipping it.

But then Steve picked up our packets and race shirts last night. I really liked the shirt because of its Hatch Show print. Since I don't keep any race shirts unless I complete the race, I knew I was going to have to do this one, last place or not.

I'm so glad I did. First of all, I wasn't last because there were many walkers behind me. I managed a 13-minute pace, which is pretty good for me. I saw a few old friends and met a few new ones. The course was beautiful, running on some of Nashville's greenways along a local golf course (much to the consternation of a few golfers). I even managed to get a picture of Steve as he passed me on his way back to the finish. It was a beautiful day for a wog, which I would have missed had I chickened out.

I needed a reason to do the race and I found one. I'm glad I did, because I ended up with so many more reasons I'm glad I did it!



1 comment:

Marilyn said...

maybe some of these are reasons to do marathons.