Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hurdles

Sometimes in boot camp, we do "circuits." Circuits are sets of different exercises that you do for a minute, then move on to the next. Some days it might be stairs, followed by jump ropes, followed by push ups, followed by - well, you get the picture. There are a variety of exercises Josh may decide to put us through. One of those exercises is the hurdles.

The hurdles are little green things that you're supposed to jump over with both feet (at the same time). Needless to say, I don't do it. Sometimes I step over them and sometimes I sort of sling one foot over at a time in a pretend jump, but most of the time I do a two-footed jump to the side. I've been trying to jump high enough to go over the hurdle, but have been too chicken to try. However, last week I tried, and I DID IT!!! Literally and figuratively, I got over a hurdle.

I'm hoping that this little action is the beginning of my overcoming many hurdles in my life. I hope that knowing that I could overcome this physical hurdle will spur me on to getting over those other hurdles in my life - the diet hurdle, the jogging hurdle, the quiet time hurdle, the let it go hurdle, and every other hurdle that is standing in my way.

But the thing about those hurdles in boot camp is that even though I jump over them once, I have to keep jumping over them again and again until my time for that part of the circuit is over. Just because I jumped over one the first time doesn't mean I'm done - I have to keep jumping over each one as it presents itself in my path. The only thing that is different is that now I know I can jump over it.

All those hurdles in my life will still be there, so I will keep jumping - partly because the hurdle is there in my way, but mostly because I know I can.
____________________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Sante Fe pancakes, waiting in line, and the people at Pancake Pantry with Steve, Sam, Lynnette, Lindley, and Molly; helping Molly put together the Ikea thing; an hour with Gina at Massage Envy; Sweet Cece's with Molly; Steve's burgers off the grill with Steve, Sam, Lynnette, Lindley, Molly, and Adam

No comments: