Tuesday, August 24, 2010

This Is What 53 Looks Like

I read "More" magazine, mostly because I got a free subscription. One of the features in the magazine is a piece where they have a picture of a woman at a certain age and say, "This Is What ___ (insert age over 40) Looks Like." In January, the subject was a 53-year-old. Let me just say that she's not quite the picture that I see when I look in my mirror!

So what do I see? Certainly the grey hair, the wrinkles, the sags and bags, and all the other stuff that the magazine lady seems to have avoided. But mostly I don't care - because for me, what I see in the mirror is just a picture. It has very little to do with what I believe 53 really looks like.

What does 53 look like for me? It looks like a grandmother who is absolutely entranced with her granddaughter. It looks like an overweight and out of shape lady who pants her way through morning butt camp. It looks like a mother with grown children, who still resists cutting the last remnants of the umbilical cord. It looks like a sister with a sister and brother who are friends as well as family, and whose families are extensions of her own family. It looks like a wife who's been married way over half her life. It looks like a woman who has been blessed with friends for 53 years, and through facebook has been able to reconnect with them. It looks like years of experiences and adventures, highs and lows, ups and downs, and blessings and gifts. In short, 53 looks like the richest woman in the world.

And it's only going to get better with every passing day and the gifts and blessings each day brings. On to 54!
_________________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: Birthday boot camp and wishes from fellow campers; BSC with Lindley; Facebook birthday greetings; CPK with Sam, Lynnette, Lindley, and Molly; Diet coke floats and new drywall with Molly; Grayson's early morning birthday visit

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Love the new format! Very youthful looking! 53 looks good on you!