Monday, October 18, 2010

Don't Be Fooled By A Poopy Diaper


For a few days last week, Lindley had some poopy diapers (since she can't read, I'm hoping she won't be embarrassed) of apparently epic proportions (as told by her parents and day care ladies). Of course, I wrote it off to teething, crawling, being a baby, eating new foods - anything but the two words that strike terror into my soul - stomach virus.

I have had too many experiences with babies and you-know-what. When my kids were preschoolers, they had the aforementioned poopiness. But they were happy and playing and quite content to go through as many diapers as needed. I thought it would be okay - until it hit me and Steve. Let's just say that we thought we would be leaving three orphans - and it didn't seem to bother us, since it would relieve us of our misery. As you can see, no matter what other memories of my children's past I have managed to forget, I shall never forget this one!!

A few years ago while Steve and I were working in the church nursery, apparently the ADSV (adult deadly stomach virus) made its way through the nursery. Of course, we didn't know that - until Steve, Sam, and my brother-in-law Eddie came down with it. Luckily, the women of the family managed to skirt (skirt- get it?) the horror, while Sam went to the emergency room, and Eddie threw up in the middle of teaching his high-school Spanish class.

So, you can see how I was hoping against hope that Lindley's current state of diaper-ness was something else. Didn't work. Sam succumbed first, around lunchtime on Sunday. Again, because I am the Queen of De Nial, I chalked it up to brunch food poisoning. I held firm to this diagnosis until last night around 8:30 pm when Lynnette emailed to say she had it too. I still faintly held onto hope - until 2 am this morning, when my guts (yep - everything that is in the middle of my body) decided to revolt - about every hour and a half until around 8am.

The worst thing for me about being sick is the noise. You know how monsters in movies try to scare people with their loud voices? Well, turn up the decibels about 1000% and add some bass, and you get the idea of what I sound like. I tried to throw up daintily and quietly, but it just ain't a-gonna happen. Today, while I have recovered, I am hoarse, sounding like I have a sore throat.

But the good news is that we've recovered, and hopefully have built up enough immunities against this particular ADSV. I've had a diet of dry cheerios and rice today, and although it won't be enough to get me back to butt camp tomorrow, I have hopes for Wednesday. Maybe those hopes will prove to be more reliable that my others were!
______________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: ADSV finally ending; visiting with Lindley for a bit; Molly getting off work to take Lindley home and bring me a drink; get well wishes for FB friends

No comments: