Thursday, October 7, 2010

What Day Of Fun Is This?

It's late at night (for me, anyway) and my bones are weary. The dishwasher is emitting all kinds of strange noises - and it's supposed to be a "quiet" dishwasher. I'd go to bed, except for two things: (1) I'm a little fearful that the dishwasher will self-destruct and burn down my house, thus putting a small crimp in Maribeth's weddings plans, and (b) I have to stay up another 45 minutes so I can stir the chili.

Yes, that's what I said - I have to stir the chili. Molly is entering a recipe in Steve's office chili cook-off. She tried a new recipe a few weeks ago, but decided it inferior. So, in a typical fashion of her mother, Molly put the whole thing off until today - because the chili cook-off is tomorrow. I located an "award winning crock pot" chili recipe online, which required only a about 210 ingredients. I had four of them. The only reason I had that many was because Molly has her spices stored upstairs during her kitchen remodel.

Anyhow, the chili ingredients are layered in the crock pot, and after an hour I'm supposed to stir it. Tomorrow morning I have to locate and remove the bay leaf. I think I also have to add some vinegar. Along with a ton of ingredients, there are a ton of instructions. These are just a few of the reasons I don't cook.

We have no idea of how this chili will taste. We watched as we put ingredients into the chili that we do not like. One might wonder why we would choose to use a totally new recipe without testing it. But then one would also have to wonder why we decided to enter a chili cook-off two days before a home wedding, or why our family decided to have a wedding the week after a family vacation at Disney World, or why we decided to remodel a house and have a wedding and a family vacation at the same time. One would wonder a lot about our family. One needs to get a life.

Anyhow, it's about time to stir the chili and wait for the dishwasher to calm down. Now, if I can just remember to find that bay leaf in the morning ...
____________________________________________________________________________
Today's blessings: butt camp with my boot-ies; cleaning crew who cleaned my house; putting stuff away in every nook and cranny; picking up Lindley from day care; CPK with Maribeth, Mathieu, Chelline, Dominic and Steve, making chili with Molly and Steve

No comments: