Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hockey Fanaticnot

I am watching hockey on television. There are any number of things I would probably prefer to watch. But instead I am watching hockey, because Nashville is playing in the playoffs (I know this because it is etched into or under the ice). I didn't start watching until the third period and I don't really know any of the names of the important players. I'm just trying to concentrate and remember which color jersey belongs to the Nashville Predators.

I know very little about the game of hockey. I understand that the goal is to get the puck into the net. That would be the extent of my knowledge. I don't know why there are three periods. It seems a bit uneven.

I also know that it is a bit violent. Players fall down a lot. There's a lot of pushing and shoving and whacking up side the head with their hockey sticks. Much of it is allowed - but I don't know what constitutes normal play and what results in being sent to the penalty box.

There are also a lot of terms, like power play, that I don't get. Possibly because I haven't paid attention when someone explains it to me. Tonight I heard the announcer mention "off sides," which I understood in soccer, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing in hockey.

I'm sure there are "plays" in hockey. But to me, it looks like, "Hit it over here and I'll hit it over there, and maybe somebody will be close enough to hit it in the net." It all seems to go pretty fast, which seems difficult to do anything else.

So why am I watching hockey? Other than the home team thing, I guess it's because even I don't really understand it all, it is quite interesting to watch. And don't try to explain it to me, because I don't really give a puck. I just hope Nashville wins, because the hockey fans here really love the Preds and deserve for the team to go all the way.

To the Stanley Cup. Wherever that is ...
==========================================================================
Today's blessings: Breakfast at Fido's with my butt camp buds; closing on Maribeth's house; McDonald's order mixup; afternoon with Lindley; chasing down Rambo; chatting with Bill Cox (not that one, Marilyn) about projects at Molly's; possible cruise planning with Molly; picking up bed with Maribeth

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Did you ever "chat" with the other Bill Cox? I just can't picture that in my mind. I am sure this one was more of a conversationlist.