Monday, April 25, 2011

To Do or Not To Do?

For the past few days, I have been researching different excursions that Molly and I could undertake during our cruise in Alaska. Totally off the radar are anything having to do with float planes, high suspension bridges, railroads that travel on hairpin turns, and zip lines. I am a big chicken. We have booked a whale watching tour. However, there are a few others that I have my Chicken Little eye on.

The ones I am considering involve riding in a modified dog sled and cuddling puppies, hiking in a rainforest, paddling down a river in a canoe, riding a bike hither and yon, and various other activities involving totem poles, panning for gold, and lumberjack shows.

So the question is, how adventurous do I want to be? I've ridden a bike. Once or twice. Will I be able to ride one down a mountain - without great bodily injury? Will I make it down the hill before the ship leaves? Do you think they will have one of those adult trikes with the basket in back?

I hiked in a rainforest in St. Maarten (or St. John - I forgot which side of the island we were on). I spent most of the time looking at my feet so I wouldn't slip on the slippery rocks/crevices/big exposed roots on the path. Is there any reason to think rainforest trails might be better traveled in Alaska?

I like puppies. But will their adult counterparts be able to lug me for a little ride? Can one get dogsled-sick? Should I take a Dramamine first?

Dare I get in a canoe? In Alaska water? I rode in a canoe once at Disney World. It was in the early seventies and you had to row your own canoe. Needless to say, it closed - I certainly never had another desire to row in the Florida sun. Anyhoo, do I really want to row my own canoe in Alaska?

I would like to find a big ole chunk of gold, but with my luck, I think my chances are pretty slim. And I wonder if the lumberjack show could possibly be as interesting as the Mexican dancer show Marilyn and I watched where one of the dudes was slung around on a string.

I guess the bottom line is how adventurous do I want to be? Or maybe, how adventurous is Molly?
======================================================================
Today's blessings: Lindley afternoon time; dinner ala Molly and Maribeth

No comments: