Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bravo Ladies!!

Today I decided to throw caution (and propriety) to the wind and go with Steve to one of Disney's water parks. I put on my bathing suit made by Nashville Tent and Awning, wondering at which point would the ever-cheerful Disney lifeguards point to me and say, "Um, ma'am, we don't have floats in your size for the lazy river."

I needn't have worried. About a minute after entering the park, I saw bathing suits on bodies of all shapes and sizes. Many were like me, opting for some sort of bathing suit that would suck in the most body fat, while covering up all the rest. Some women my size opted for a traditional swimsuit, bulges be damned. There were several women my size who chose a two piece tankini - evidenced by the strain of the bathing suit to cover the body's midsection. And then there were my heroines - those large women who wore full-scale bikinis which covered the important lady parts and little else. By little else, I mean all the rest of the body that spilled out over the bikini parts.

I have to believe that these women have a healthy sense of self to be able to wear whatever they want at a place filled with Skinny Minnies parading their wares for all to see. My bikini-clad peeps obviously were not concerned with what anyone else thought - they were simply there for a good time in the sun.

Many of us who want to lose weight have the desire to look good in a bathing suit, and long for the day that we can wear a cute one. Sometimes we don't allow ourselves the fun we deserve, because we don't think we look the part. We're waiting, and by waiting we're missing out on life. But maybe, if we're brave, we can like who we are and go forth and enjoy. Because in the end, happiness shouldn't have to wait on a bathing suit size - it should happen now.
======================================================================
Today's blessings: Typhoon Lagoon with Steve and mini donuts; Steve's pizza delivery

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I'm headed out right now to buy 2 whopper-kinis for June! Fun, here we come!