Saturday, July 16, 2011

I Didn't Want To Do It

But I did anyhow. Wog the four miles with my training group, that is. Here's the story:

Molly and I signed up for a training program to get ready for a half marathon. Last week was our first meet. About 200+ women meet at a local running store at 7am, put on our identification (in case of emergency) bibs, and join our pace groups. I think the fastest groups run 8-minute miles. I'm at the other end of the spectrum - waaayy at the other end. Here you will find the groups that run 4 minutes then walk 1, or run 3/walk 1, or run 2/walk 1, or run 2/walk 2, or just plain walk. Last week I sort stayed within eyesight of the 2/1 and did 3 miles.

Of course this week we were supposed to do two "runs" of 3 or 4 miles on our own. I did zero runs of zero miles. I did manage to make it to butt camp everyday, so I hoped that it would make up for my lack of wogging. I hoped in vain.

Last night I went out with my family and overindulged via a guacamole hamburger/french fries/chocolate-chocolate dipped ice cream cone. It was still being digested this morning when I got up to let my dumb cats outside. I really was not in the mood physically, mentally, or emotionally to get out in the hot sun and complete today's requisite four miles. But that's the good thing about having a partner in crime when it comes to training. Because while you don't want to train, you're really hoping that your partner will call and say she's not going. The good thing is that she's hoping the same thing. Nobody wants to admit to being the weakling, so nobody calls and eventually somebody picks the other up, and off you go (albeit unhappily) to training.

Such was the case this morning. Got up, put the cats out (4am), took a brief nap, got up again, ate something, got dressed, and waited for Molly. She showed up and we both agreed that we didn't want to go, but we would and just hang with the walkers.

We get to the running store, put on our bibs, and go wait with our 2/1 and walking peeps. As usual, we started late - later when they stagger the running groups as they start out. We decided to go with the run 2/walk 2 group, as by that time we both had a 1% increase in energy, mood, and attitude.

Anyhow, an hour or so later, after a few hills, lots of sun, and a little jogging, we were done. We both had to admit we were glad we went and did what we could. So we rewarded ourselves with a visit to the Donut Den. Hey - we didn't do those four miles for nothing!!
**************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: 4-miler with the 2/2 group and our sweet pace leader; Donut Den lady; McD's lunch with Lynnette, Maribeth, and Molly; fun times with Lindley; telephone chat with Marilyn; Steve's picking up Logan's for dinner with Maribeth


1 comment:

Denise in PA said...

Good for you! I'm trying to convince myself to get on the treadmill for just 20 minutes - and that's in air conditioning - LOL! You keep mentioning guacamole burgers - they sound awesome! I made some guacamole last night - maybe I'll make burger for lunch!