Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The War is Over

The liriope is gone (and yes, that is definitely an accurate illustration of my yard-working outfit). After my auspicious beginning, I wondered if the plant world was going to win. Maybe I retreated and lost the battle last Thursday, but I was not to be defeated. Matt the Landscaper came in with his helper, and together they cleared 98% of the enemy out from its stronghold. All that was left was the 10 feet (or was it miles) of plants in front of my rosebushes. Matt said he was coming back - but I wasn't sure if he was channeling General McArthur or The Terminator.

Today I decided I was up to the task of finishing the job. Having learned so much from my last foray into landscaping, I (a) started earlier in the day, (b) made sure I was well hydrated, (c) made sure I was well shod, and (d) had gloves on my hands and a sweat band on my head. Sure, I still needed several breaks for water and to watch pieces of "Shirley Valentine" (which was conveniently showing on the television) during my breaks. But eventually, the last plant was pick-axed, yanked, and pulled out of the ground. Mission accomplished!

Now if only I knew what to do with the four bags of dead liriope ...
**************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: Butt-camping with Karen; watching "Shirley Valentine"; pulling up the rest of the liriope; chatting and finding out info from moving neighbors; Costco-ing with Steve and Molly; trying Papa Murphy's pizza; exchanging diapers/clothes to Sam for lawnmower usage

No comments: