Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What To Do?

I never watch that show "What Would You Do?"  Maybe it's because in those situations, I don't know what I would do, and even if I think I know what I would do, I can't be sure that I would do what I think I would do - you just don't know until you are actually in that situation.  But mostly I don't watch that show because I know it's made up situations made up for TV to make a show.  In other words, it's fake.

I don't like tricking people.  I don't like making people do stuff under the pretense of being real.  In a psychology course I took in college, part of an assignment was doing something in a public place that would cause a reaction.  I don't remember what I did, but I know I probably hated it.

Which brings me to a situation that I encountered in Walgreen's.  As I had my stuff and was headed to the check-out, I noticed a young woman sitting on the floor.  Her legs were splayed out in front of her and she was sitting on the floor and her head was down on the floor.  As I glanced at her, I saw she had a Walgreen's receipt with her stuff that her head was resting on.  There were several people in line, along with the Walgreen's check-out lady.  The young woman was just at the end of the counter.

Frankly, I didn't know what to do.  I didn't know whether to ask her if she was okay, or to ask the person ahead of me in line, or to ask the check-out lady.  Part of me wondered if this was some TV or psychology class stunt.  What should I do?

I did nothing.  I checked out and went to my car.  Nobody else did anything either.  I don't know what the young woman's story was, and I will never know if I should have been part of the answer.  It's probably the cynic in me, but it just didn't seem like a situation that warranted my attention.

The question will still remain with me, though - did I really do the right thing?
***********************************************************************
The Good Stuff From Today:  2 miles and prizes with KB; Everley time; window blinds hung by Hughes; Sonic peppermint shake via Steve; Starbucks and Calypso burger delivered by Mathieu; nice blinds cutter lady at Home Depot

1 comment:

Denise in PA said...

I feel the same way you do about that show! And, I have done/not done the same thing in the Walgreen's situation - and then worried about it.