Friday, January 4, 2008

Waiting but not Wasting Time

Today I went to my doctor's office to get a B12 shot. I had to wait in the waiting room for quite a while. When I finally got in, the receptionist was very apologetic.

I had two choices - be nice or be outraged. I chose to be nice. Since I had no other place to be, I wasn't pressed for time. While waiting, I had a chance to finish the book that was due at the library last Wednesday. I had time to play bowling on my cell phone. I had some quiet time.

I also had an opportunity to observe human behavior, which I always find intriguing. Today's winner was another waiting patient who asked me (a) when was my appointment, (b) why was I there, and (c) what kind of shot was I getting, because she was thinking about getting some, too. Since she was a day late for her appointment (which required several consultations with the receptionist), and kept trying to sneak back to the doctor's office when the receptionist stepped away from her desk, I could only imagine her true story.

There are times when we think everything has to go our way on our time frame. Sometimes those moments are valid. But I think there are equally valid moments when God wants us to stop and live on someone else's reasoning and schedule. If we get flustered without cause, then we miss those moments that point out the uniqueness of this human experience.

I don't know if this patient got in to see the doctor or got any shots. I do know that I'm glad I was able to meet her and catch a glimpse of her life. All it took was a long wait in a waiting room.

No comments: