Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What Goes Around ...

As I was checking out in Walgreen's, a young man looked at me and said, "Weren't you my teacher at Bass?" I thought I recognized his face, but then he introduced himself - a beefy, manly version of the skinny, lanky boy I taught so many years ago.

He told me he was teaching at a local elementary school. I offered my congratulations, and told him that I no longer taught. The check-out lady applauded him and said that we need good teachers, to which I replied that I got out before I became a bad teacher.

After we both left the store, I couldn't help but wonder what effect I might have had on him as a teacher. Was I fair? Was I nice? Was I a good teacher?

I guess that's the way it is with everyone we meet, either personally or professionally. We have the chance to make someones life better and more pleasant, or not. We have the chance to react in the same way people approach us, or differently. We can say it all depends on the situation, or the person, or that particular moment in life.

But maybe it doesn't. Maybe all it takes is for us to do the right thing. Maybe all it takes is thinking of how we would want to be treated. Maybe it will be hard and take a lot of effort, but maybe it will all be worth it because we did the right thing.

I don't know what Brandon remembers about our school year together. I do remember he was a little pesky at times, as are most middle-schoolers. But I hope there was a moment or two that he remembers fondly.

After all, students grow up to be teachers, strangers turn into neighbors, and grumps can turn into friends. All is takes is genuine effort on our part to make that change happen.

No comments: