Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Have Saw, Will Cut

Today I managed to use my new chain saw to cut various tree parts at Molly's house. I didn't lose any appendages, and learned how to fix the chain when it came off. I learned a little about chain sawing, like when to push and pull, and how to angle the saw. While I'm not quite ready for the chain saw Olympics, I consider my first efforts successful.

There were several who viewed my new endeavor with trepidation. While I choose to believe they were not casting aspersions as to my abilities, I do believe that maybe the idea of me and a chain saw was a little scary to them. Maybe that thought made me a little more careful. Maybe it made me a little more determined. But the important thing is that it didn't stop me from doing something new.

I know chain sawing can be extremely dangerous. I know that I could lose a finger or a foot in a split second. But I also know that I can use a chain saw.

And for today, that's all that matters. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, no matter what somebody else may think. You may succeed or you may not. But you have to go ahead and try.

And if you happen to keep all your digits in the process, then it's been a really good day!
___________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: meeting with Christian and the electrician dudes; finding Rambo; boot camp benefit; chain sawing at Molly's

No comments: