Thursday, May 6, 2010

Today It Was Right

Last month I wrote about a man asking me for money in Walgreen's and the fact that I didn't give him any. Today while I was walking to my car at Starbucks, an old man with worn-out clothing called to me across the parking lot, asking me if I had a few coins to give him.

I looked in my wallet, found a few dollars, and gave them to him. He looked surprised, and even stopped mid-story about his hungry stomach. He thanked me and walked away, and I went to my car. As I was backing out, I saw him. He was directing me on where to back out, and where to go to get back on the main street. He was smiling, and as I passed him, he bowed to me. I couldn't help but smile back.

Why did I give him the dollars? Because something inside me told me that it was the right thing to do. It didn't matter what he was going to do with that money - that was not my call. My responsibility was to act on what I needed to do. It felt good and it felt right.

So in the end, who really received a gift today?
___________________________________________________________________
Things that make today memorable: planting and replanting; replacing screen door handle; "We Are Nashville" shirts by CPC on 360 with Anderson Cooper; Which Wich and "A Chorus Line" with Steve; post-boot camp nap; twisting into my car when it got hemmed in; homeless dude at Starbucks; twice-made frap at Starbucks; Burger King drama

No comments: