Friday, March 18, 2011

Stuff, And Too Much of It

Earlier this week, while travelling down to Mississippi and back, I noticed how many storage building businesses there were along the way. It seemed that every town had at least two "U Store It" places. In other words, there is a profitable market for people who have so much stuff that they can't store it in their own homes.

I should know. I currently am renting two such units. Of course, it helps when two out of three of my offspring have been remodeling their houses and needed the space. When my house couldn't hold their stuff and mine, we needed extra room in which to stuff the stuff.

Today I cleaned out both units because we are having a garage sale tomorrow. As we loaded out the this-and-thats and the doo-dads and the six billion storage containers that stored more bric-a-brac, I was both amazed and overwhelmed at how much stuff our family has - to get rid of.

I guess there's only one question I wanted to ask myself - why do we have so much junk? Maybe it's because once we needed it and haven't gotten rid of it because we might need it again. Maybe it's because somebody gave it to us and we kept it for the requisite period of time. But mostly I think we have stuff because we thought we wanted it, and once we got it we didn't want it so much - but kept it anyway.

Anyway, tomorrow we'll get rid of some of that extra stuff. The storage sheds are empty and the house will have a little more space to breathe - as long as we don't fill it up with some new stuff!
===========================================================================
Today's blessings: Pancakes at the Pantry with Karen, Karen, Kelsey, and Gloria; getting the garage stuff together with Molly; Maribeth making her flight to Baltimore; putting in a contract with Susan; night chat with Sam, Steve, and Molly

No comments: