Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Good People At The Checkout

This week we get to have Lindley all day because of the gap in between day care. Since she has shown a distaste for swimming pools, naturally we decided to attempt to change her opinion. Of course, it helps that Pawpaw's second home during the summer is at the YMCA pool.

Yesterday we made some success as Lindley decided to stand in the baby pool and splash around a bit. Encouraged by this milestone advancement, we planned to give it another go again today. However, we were missing one valuable piece of equipment - swim diapers - since she had used the last one yesterday. If you don't know the value of a swim diaper, find a baby. Put a regular diaper on him/her and go dunk her/him in the water for a bit. Once you call a forklift to lift said baby and said diaper out of the pool, you will realize the genius behind the swim diaper.

Anyhow, this is about the kindness you find in the least expected moments. Since we were in desperate need of swim diapers if we were to accomplish our mission of getting Lindley to like swimming pools, I went to Kroger to purchase some. I quickly found the baby aisle, saw the swim diapers were on sale for one dollar off the regular price, and grabbed two packages. I proceeded to the self-scan aisle and started my scanning (I also needed to pick up a few other items). After I had scanned the second package, I realized I had gotten a size large package - too large for Lindley's little bottom.

A Kroger clerk happened to be walking behind me, and I asked him if I could return the large diapers, since I didn't need them. He signaled to the head clerk, and she said to just to exchange the large for a medium. Mr. Clerk walked with me, and said, "Here they are over here on the close-out aisle." I told him that I had gotten them on the regular baby aisle, but went over to the close-out aisle anyhow, and saw that the same diapers were REALLY on sale - like half of what the sales prices was.

Well, both clerks helped me find the size I needed (two packages), and then we went back to my register (my stuff was still there). Ms. Clerk took off both the first two diaper packs, and then I scanned the new big-sale ones.

I think I was most impressed that two people would be so helpful. Two people that work really hard and probably have to deal with a lot of people and their grocery problems. Two people that could have made my life difficult, but instead made it much better than I could have hoped.

Maybe swim diaper savings aren't huge deal, but today it was an affirmation of the goodness in people. Sometimes you just have to look for it wherever you are. Today, it was at Kroger.
*****************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: Helpful clerks at Kroger; swimming at the Y and in the backyard with Lindley; getting a project complete; chatting with Molly after she walked to our house; chatting with Maribeth on the phone; Steve bringing me a Sonic drink

1 comment:

Denise in PA said...

I just love when you get friendly help! Unlike the young cashier at my supermarket on Sunday - rude almost to the point where I was going to say some to the manager, but not quite.