Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Just A Few Words

He asked to be my friend on facebook. He is actually my younger brother's age, but I knew him and his family. If we ever had a conversation, I don't remember it. It has probably been 40+ years since I've even seen him.

With facebook, you never really know why somebody is friending you. Maybe they really want to reconnect, or maybe they did a mass friending with friends of friends. Whatever his reason, I got the notification that he wanted to be my friend. I sat on the request a few days, and then accepted the invitation.

I went to his profile page to catch up on his life. And that's when I read this:
My lovely wife of 24 years died today suddenly. We can use all the prayers you can send our way. She was a loving wife, mother, daughter and sister. She saved me from myself and helped me become a better person. I miss her so!!!!
In just a few seconds, I knew everything that I needed to know. In just a few words, he became real again, in spite of the miles and years that separate us.

It's amazing, this power of words. They can hurt, they can heal, they can make us laugh, they can make us cry. They bring us together and open our hearts. And that's when we realize the words that mean the most - those words prayed to our Heavenly Father on behalf of those who need Him.

Just a few words can change everything - here's hoping that mine will always change things for the better.

***********************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: Safe travel for Steve to meet up with Maribeth; cookie basket from the Simmons; sweet delivery lady

No comments: