Monday, November 14, 2011

So What Is This Udderly Pink???

It's the name of our team. So far, it's me and my girls to the left - Molly and the Karens. We're still hoping that Jo and Gloria sign up, and that many more (from all over the country) will join the team. So, the question remains - WHAT IS UDDERLY PINK??

I guess the best way to answer this question is just to answer a lot of questions.

1. What kind of team have you formed and what qualifications do you need to join the team?

This team formed for the The Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure® . This event will take place in San Francisco on September 7-9, 2012. To qualify, you must be breathing and have a heartbeat.

2. What happens during this event?

You walk approximately 20 miles a day for 3 days. And by walk I mean walk. You start in the morning and take as long as you need. There are lunch breaks and snack breaks scheduled along the way. When you get back to camp, you get a hot meal (breakfast and dinner), you get a hot shower in a semi-truck, you get to do the necessary in a porta-potty, and you get to sleep in a 2-person tent. It's amazing.

3. What if I can't walk the whole thing?

You can get picked up by a sweeper van, who will take you to the next snack stop or lunch or back to camp if it's late in the afternoon. If you don't want to walk, you can sign up as a crew volunteer and still be part of the team.

4. How much does it cost?

Registration is $90, although there is a coupon CURE2012 that saves a bit on that (it expires on December 1). To participate in the walk, each person has to raise $2300. I know that sounds like a lot of money, but it can be done, especially if we all work together. Crew members are exempt from the fundraiser part.

5. Now let me get this straight - I'm supposed to raise $2300, walk 60 miles over 3 days, sleep in a tent, shower in a truck, and peepoop in a porta-potty. And I'm doing this why?

Because you probably know somebody who has been affected by breast cancer. Because breast cancer needs to be cured. Because this is an experience that is so special, it's hard to put into words. So maybe this video of the my walk in San Diego will help.

So now you know. Fundraising on my part starts after the holidays, unless you need your car washed before then. Meanwhile, don't you want to join us?

*************************************************************************************
Today's blessings: Steve bringing me lunch; chili dinner at Molly's with the family

1 comment:

Karen said...

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!
Dont know how I'm raising $2,300 but, somehow, I know I will, and that it wont be as scary as it sounds!
I am super super super excited to walk with such amazing, loving, funny and wonderful women.