Friday, February 3, 2012

Can We Move On Now?

I doubt it.

Today, Komen reversed its decision to halt funding to Planned Parenthood.  While I could analyze every syllable in their public statement, all that matters to me is that they went back on the ill-advised statement they issued earlier in the week.

Since that first decision, I've read the news, read comments and blogs, and listened to opinions about the whole situation.  No matter what was/is decided, somebody was/is going to be glad/mad/sad about the decision.  People are going to contribute with purpose, or withhold their contributions and contribute to "the other side."  Statistics will be paraded out and facts will be produced and many "important" people will voice their lofty thoughts.  There will be questions of "why" and "who" and "how" but there will be no satisfactory answers, because everybody wants to hear that his or her answer is THE right definitive final answer.

For me (and only for me since that's about all I can manage) I think Komen made the right decision.  I don't doubt they should answer some questions, but so should all huge corporations.  But so should we.  We should ask ourselves why we contribute as we do, and what we hope our contributions will accomplish.  But once that money has left our hands, we place it in the hands of someone we hope will do with it what we planned when we made the contribution.

For me, I hope to help those who have or will have breast cancer.  I want to effect a cure, diagnose the disease, counsel those who face this disease, and help in any way, even if it's just to provide a ride to chemotherapy.  This year I will do it through Komen, whether they do it through their own programs, through Planned Parenthood, or through the local candy store.

Breast cancer is real and needs to be cured.  It's time to put the acrimony behind us and move on to a cure.

*******************************************************************************
Today's blessings:  phone chats with the Karens and Molly; AK, MK, and HS in one day

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Lots of "K's" in your blessings of the day- another being K-omen :) I feel sorry for their public relations staff- no good way to undo a bad decision/public statement- we have many politicians and sports figures that have proven that.

Marilyn said...

Ok, the previous comment was sent by me- can't seem to get it off that it was sent by the travel blog group :/

Denise in PA said...

Amen!