Thursday, February 2, 2012

When The Light Bulb Goes Out

As usual, I had a bright idea yesterday.  You know, when that light bulb comes on to the side of your head?  Unfortunately, since it takes most of my brain cells to power up the light bulb, those very same brain cells cease to function once the light bulb goes on.  In other words, once the bright idea has been birthed, the brain takes a break, therefore not bothering to think through said bright idea.  Here's how it went down:

Lindley sent word that she wanted some Disney hair clips.  Since I pretty much know the entire inventory of every store on Disney property, I knew that the type of clip she desired was not on property.  Here's where the bright idea came into being.  I decided that I could go to CVS and get the clips, and then go to a local Michael's (I am still in Ft. Lauderdale) and get ribbons and stuff to make them myself.  At this point, the brain clicked to "off."

Strictly on autopilot, I googled for the nearest Michael's store.  On the computer, it was only a few inches away from our hotel.  Google Maps said it was 3-ish miles away.  My barely functioning brain thought, "That's not too far.  That's only a 5K!"  Did I mention that Steve had to car for a business meeting and I decided to walk to Michael's?  At noon?  In my brand new Five Finger Vibrams that I had barely broken in the day before?  You know, the ones that had rubbed blisters on my feet so that my last 100 steps in them looked like I was walking on glass?

Anyhoo, off I went to Michael's.  I made it there, found some of what I was looking for, and headed back.  The walk ended being a total of 6.75 miles, which only the last 1.75 miles were a bit painful since the band-aids that were covering the existing blisters were proving ineffective, and new blisters were forming in sympathy.

In the end, I was glad I went.  I got to see parts of Ft. Lauderdale that I ignored as we drove past in the car.  I got to see a dude using some sort of water jet pack that lifted him above the canal he was in.  I got a long walk in, even though I was passed not only by a tortoise, but by a snail, a slug, and a sloth.  

Too bad my brain woke up in time to remind me (via various painful body parts) of what my good idea felt like!
*******************************************************************************
Today's blessings: safe drive to WDW; MK and Epcot shopping; dinner with Steve; flower and ready room at check-in; survey project; Steve bringing me sunglasses and blister band-aids


No comments: