Monday, February 13, 2012

How Things Come Together

A long time ago, when my kids were little, we lived in Florida.  Two of my best buds were Emily and Jeanne.  We had kids around the same age and went to the same church and just had a lot of fun hanging out.  Emily and I moved away and Jeanne stayed in Florida.  We got together a couple of times, but then kids and life in general got in the way and the only way we stayed in touch was by the occasional Christmas card (by whomever was sending them out that year).

The year I turned 50, I decided to do a 3-Day breast cancer walk. I got out my address book and mailed donation pleas to everyone in my book, regardless of the last time we had had contact.  One of those people was Emily.  I heard back from her, and she told me how she was recovering from breast cancer surgery.  That year, as I have every year since, I walked for Emily.

Last year, the Three Amigos got together for the first time in a long time.  It was Emily's cancer free celebration, so we had lots of things to toast to - friends, family, and life.  We vowed not to let so much time pass before we got together again.

A few months ago, we started talking about getting together again this year.  We had thought about reuniting at Disney World again, the same time as last year, but instead opted to meet at Jeanne's this fall.  Emily said that she and her husband might do something special for her five-year cancer free anniversary this year.  Here's where it all came together for me.  This is also the fifth year of the 26.2 With Donna National Marathon To Finish Breast Cancer.  So it would only make sense that this year,  I especially ran for Emily.

13.1 miles.  Five years.  It's just a smidge when you're talking about a lifetime!

*******************************************************************************
Today's blessings:  Steve picking up the new car and fixing the cruise ressies; pulling up floor staples with Steve and Maribeth; donations for the 3-Day Walk and reaching goal 1; tutu talk with KB

No comments: