Saturday, October 19, 2013

Letters

While I was recently in New York City, KB and I visited the World Trade Center.  After walking around the memorial, we went into the museum store and I bought a few books.  One was "The Legacy Letters,"  a compilation of letters written by family members to the victims of 9/11.  It's a very sobering yet hopeful book, full of memories and messages to those lost loved ones, from those who knew and loved them best.

It's not a book I can sit down and just read.  I read a letter, look at the picture associated with that letter, and then try to imagine the person and the family member who is writing it.  Of course I can't even begin to comprehend the feelings of the letter writer, but it helps to make a name more real and precious, because of the words that were written and then shared with the world.

As I read the letters, I can't help but think how all those writers wish they could say those words in person.  How they wish that, for even a moment, they could read those words of love and be heard.  How they wish that they could have one more chance to say how much that person means to them.  But they can't.

And then I think of my opportunity.  I have the chance to tell those I love how much they mean to me.  I have the chance to tell the living why they are special to me and how their lives affect mine and make it so much better.  I have the chance to say "thanks" to a person whom I know will hear it.

The question is, will I do it, before this opportunity passes?  
*************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  I went to the mall with Molly and Lindley; built a bear with Lindley; Molly brought breakfast and we organized the stockpile

No comments: