Thursday, October 24, 2013

What We Leave Behind

Earlier this week, Sharon's dad passed away.  Sharon is one of our Udderly Pink team members who has faithfully trained through our training walks, supported our fundraising efforts, and walked 60 miles with us in San Francisco and Washington, D.C.  Today Karen and I attended the memorial service for her dad.

I never personally met Mr. Sorteberg and only knew the things that Sharon had shared with us over the course of many training walks, meetings, yard sales, etc.  But in the space of just a few minutes, I realized that his was a life well-lived.

He spent many of his early years in a hospital due to illness, but that didn't stop him from his many accomplishments.  Among them were serving in the Army, becoming a teacher, excelling in many sports, brewing his own beer, and being an active member of many groups.  From the stories and notes that were read at his memorial, he fully lived his life to its fullest with his wife and two daughters.  It was also a life well-loved, as evidenced by the photographs of him and his wife, and the words shared by Sharon.

For just a few moments, I was able to meet a man and see a life as it should be lived.  I watched as he was given the recognition and gratitude that an Army veteran deserves.  I witnessed the grief as well as pride and joy as a family said goodbye to a loved one.

I learned a lot today about Robert Sorteberg as a man.  But the most important thing was something I already knew.  He had to have been a great dad because I know his daughter.  And if having a daughter as funny and beautiful and kind as Sharon is the result of a great life, then truly her dad can rest knowing that he left his best with us. 

*************************************************************************
Today was a great day because:  it was a beautiful crisp fall day; KB and I seeing Sharon; picking up Lindley at school (accompanied by Everley); Everley and Lindley time

3 comments:

Denise in PA said...

Your description sounds exactly like what I experienced at the memorial service for my new "boss" & quilting buddy, Lindsay's mom. I had never met her but thought I "knew" her from Lindsay speaking of her family. What an education I got on that wonderful woman at the service. Condolences to your friend.

Kat said...

Sending love and ladybug hugs to Sharon and her family.

Unknown said...

Thank you Luanne, that was beautiful. Love you a lot.